Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Jamaica Day 3

Jamaica Day Three

This blog entry will follow the adventures chronicled in the Jamaica Journal, with photos and commentary added for clarity and extra details. 

Journal has been edited for clarity.


03-20-16


[. . .]

Anyways, onto Jamaica stuff. 
I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting the hang of it and starting to notice stuff -- not just in myself: like how addicted I was to technology -- but also things about how poverty works. (For example) stuff like Netflixs* that I have such easy access to, is hard to get here. 

*Or a library

Commentary: I know it's a weird example, but if you think about how luxury items and the entertainment industry shape the American reality it's not as bizarre. Also, since there was no wifi accessible to us -- I learned later that Miss H's  son-in-law or something had installed it, but she wasn't sure how it worked -- it was one of the things that popped into my head the easiest. Without internet, how you spend your free time really does look tremendously different and I think - as much as I love the internet - that it does damage personal relationships. Without the internet, you're forced to spend time with those around you for entertainment, which fosters connection and understanding. With it, while connections to people and news far away is at your fingertips, which I think is good, you become far too stuck in this endless blackhole and you miss everything around you. It's a shame in a lot of ways, really.

Also how we really overuse water. Like, it's just not necessary. And (...) water is def. an issue! I'm starting to feel like myself again. Both the activist side of my myself and adventurous side.

Commentary: One of the major changes I've experienced from studying abroad is a significantly increased interest in politics and international studies. I've additionally become much more interested in issues such as resource management, global hunger and thirst, and human rights throughout the world. I think it's critical that we acknowledge the vast differences and values that each culture has, for good and bad (how we react to issues is much more cultural that we realize), But it's also equally, if not more important, to recognize that each person is an individual, and just like our society, just like everywhere, there are good and bad people. And they are themselves and themselves alone.

And I'm letting go of a lot of anxiety. But there's still a lot to work through and I'm starting to realize how many issues I bring to the table*. Just can't believe it took me so long to adjust. But the day didn't start feeling that way at all! 

*As opposed to the issues being everyone else's. 

Commentary: The journal entries were written in the evenings after the day, of course.

We wound up having to get up earlier than the alarm because Miss H didn't want food getting cold. C woke me up and I basically -- no, I did -- bit her head off

Commentary: I'm so sorry C! I was really really tired! But it's a running joke now, so . . . it works? But the thing you start realizing when you travel is that food, sleep, and bathroom can make or break a trip. Lack any of those, and the stress of getting everything perfectly (catching your plane on time, asking for a sandwich in understandable French, being on time to your class, going through your entire lesson plan, remembering to bring your swimsuit or metro card) will get to you and sooner or later, you're going to meltdown. The best cure for this is prevention, obviously, but that's basically impossible, so the next best thing is to know your signs and know when you're getting close to that point. Or experiencing culture shock, which is more real that you can ever imagine (more on that in a separate post).

and I wasn't a fan of breakfast. But mostly because my stomach hates me in the morning. But honestly, I don't want to talk about how much of a brat I was anymore. 

Commentary: Jamaican food was definitely very different from what I was used to. It was very fresh and very unusual. My host mom was a pretty good cook (and an amazing baker) but I often forget that I am *VERY* picky with food, which is a trait I really don't like about myself.

 After food we went and waited for the bus with the other girls in HG (our part of town).There were dogs and a lot of goats. It was both fun and funny. 

Commentary:
In case you don't believe me, here's a both picture and video of the numerous goats.





T (normally very quiet, smart, and sweet) made the following statement about goats, as we watched them go by.
T: What do you call a bunch of goats? (silence) Curry.
None of us expected that from her. At all. We laughed for days.

We got on the bus. It was a long drive, full of twists and turns. Thankfully I didn't get sick. But I didn't have to stare ahead a few times. After driving through many things -- including sugarcane! -- we stopped for a break.

Here are some of the pictures (plus a video) of the scenery.



Next, we happened upon the sugarcane fields. Some were high, startlingly so


 And then, we got to see where the sugarcane had been harvested as well.




And here was an old sugarcane factory.

  
Commentary: Sugarcane is one of the main crops in Jamaica, but it is not without its troubles. Not only is sugarcane notoriously invasive, but it's also incredibly hard to harvest, one of the most difficult and backbreaking crops, in fact. But oh man, is it good . . . 

Here are some final pictures of the way up there:





And [we stopped for] a swim. Even though at first I didn't want to due to my legs hurting (they did so all day), I decided I would regret it if I didn't, and (after a quick change) dove in. It was marvelous and I don't regret it one bit. Plus, Jeri looked like a seal or a mermaid. She was so happy! And the water was sooo blue! 




We hopped back in the car soon enough though and drove some more -- often seeing the oceanside. It was really pretty! 

Commentary:

The water in Jamaica is really warm comparatively to the water in the Pacific -- though not as warm as the Atlantic, apparently-- and it has less waves, so it's really easy to float. This beach was pretty perfect. It's funny how when you're traveling there are these perfect moments that you remember forever, but you isolate them from the context they were originally in. You don't remember the pain, or discomfort, or agony over choices, you just remember the moments in of themselves. Not that there was agony here, but there was plenty of indecision as I went back and forth trying to decide if it was worth it to go in the water or not.

Hey Guys! Emery here! The day didn't end here, but for the sake of post length, I've decided to put the rest of the day's content into another (maybe two, depending) post, and so ends this particular one. As always, thanks for reading and have a wonderful day! I hope you've enjoyed reading! Best!
~ Emery 




No comments:

Post a Comment