Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Packing, Mills and Roanoke, what I did wrong and what I did right. Part One, Mills

First off, let me just say that I'm not feeling too well, so I apologize if this post sounds a little loopy. Planes, plus travel, plus stress and time zone differences and lack of sleep wreck absolute havoc on my body. But on we go.

Here, I want to compare two trips that I packed for -- one where I had everything I needed, and the other one where I wanted to shove my head in my suitcase and not come out again.

The first trip was to Oakland, CA, about an hour flight away from where I live. I had decided to take Spirit Airlines, to try and save some money, and knew that if I overpacked, they were going to add on some insane fees. So, I underpacked. Rather than take a backpack, I actually took a small purse, that fell several inches under their tiny guidelines. You could call it a handbag, really. I was only going for a little over 24 hours, so I figured I could afford to travel light. I was right. It was the best bag I ever packed, and I flew through security. It felt amazing not to be tied down.

Here's what I packed.

Boarding Pass, printed out, just in case.
ID

I kept these in the pocket of my Trench Coat.
Around my waist was my favorite Sweatshirt.
I also carried a small traveler's bag with Chapstick in it, and my phone, after I'd gone through security. Actually, of all the things I wound up bringing, this was my least favorite. I had forgotten that it was missing a button, and so all of my things kept trying to fall out. I wound up moving them to my trench coat pocket instead.

I had been unsure of the sleeping situation when I got to my friend's dorm, so I had packed the trench coat and the sweatshirt as a 'in a pinch' blanket and pillow, for sleeping on the hardwood floor. Luckily, I didn't have to use them, as my friend very kindly gave up her bed for me, and made herself a blanket bed on the floor. She wouldn't move no matter how I begged her, so I gave up and borrowed her bed.

It was comfy.

I wound up using the trench coat as I was out and about as it was so lightweight and I appropriated the pockets. It also stopped me from getting as sunburned as I could have, as I sat in the California heat at Mills and rotated the burning (putting the jacket on) and the heat (taking the jacket off). Moral of the story: Trench Coats are fab.

But onwards.

I packed my wallet, of course, as well as my phone, charger, and headphones, all in one bag.

In the last minute, I threw in some Luna Bars and my birth control, which I take due to my likely Endo.

I figured I could just wait until Saturday evening to take it, but decided it was better to do it in the morning so I wouldn't forget.

I had no regrets for either of my last minute items.

In a makeup bag, I put these Luna Bars, the BC, 3 Chapsticks, a hair band, a sleepmask, and ear plugs. I didn't use the latter two, but it's always good to have them, just in case!

I had my toothbrush, plus it's cap, and some travel sized toothpaste and deodorant, which I put in a plastic bag together.

I hadn't tried the travel sized deodorant before, and frankly, no one needs to because the regular one is under 3 oz, but I was glad I had it. It saved me from last minute grabbing my regular deodorant, so I had more things packed. Same with the toothbrush and paste. 10/10 would do again.

In the makeup bag, I also put a small comb, since a brush wouldn't fit. Also a good choice.

The bulk of the bag was filled with a fancy dress for the graduation, which was rolled with its bra and underwear.

I decided I would sleep in my clothes that night to save space. I dressed in comfy pants, a comfy shirt, and flats. It worked very well.

Lastly, I packed my friend's grad gift, a necklace, into the bag and put a hair band around it to keep it from opening in the flight.

The only thing I wished I'd brought was a small book. It would have totally fit, and the time before my flight took off was boring. But, you live and you learn.

And that's it!

My master packing list for a super short trip!

Until part two --

~ Emery 








No comments:

Post a Comment