Sunday, November 7, 2021

My first three days in France

 Today marks day 3 in France. 

I start classes tomorrow, and I'll actually be wandering around then. I've spent the last two days indoors, resting my ankle. 

Sleep has been a problem. I'm either getting too much or too little and my schedule is all over the place. I woke up at noon today, and made myself get up. Yesterday I slept til 1:30, having gone to bed at 8:30 -- I think I slept for 18 hours. It was a lot. 

I was awake until four AM last night. I tried to sleep, but couldn't quite manage. 

But overall I am very pleased with everything here. But there is one thing I'd quite forgotten. On Sunday, EVERYTHING shuts down in France. So, having been very clever and booked my return flight for Sunday, I have made a mess of things. My host family helped me to find a train leaving the Saturday instead, and I've spent the last little bit finding a hotel. Which I have successfully done. 

Today I just feel more tired than anything. The last two days I've felt very happy and content, and today I just feel fatigued. 

I am excited to go out and explore soon, but worried about my ankle. I am excited for classes, but hoping I'll be able to be awake for them! 

In short, I am a little stressed! But that's to be expected I think. 


On to some cool things. 

The place here is beautiful. If I could have designed my own house or room, this would be it. It is a large house and right now, I have my own floor. It is only temporary though, til the other host student leaves. Then I will have my own room next to the garden. So I can't lose. They are both very pretty. The ceilings are high in the main room, and it is a lot of white. I won't post pictures here, because it is their home, and that is rude, but they have a perfect combination of classic and modern. The stairs are pure white. My room is upstairs, and it has a window overlooking the garden. It is their grown son's room. He lives in Paris now, but they keep the three rooms upstairs open in case any of their three children want to come home. I think that's sweet. 

The place is spotless, but my hosts are incredibly relaxed. 

My room is a nice size. Not too big, not too small. It has a window overlooking the garden. There's plenty of shelves, several mirrors, and art, all around. The bed has a beautiful coverlet, that has blue on the bottom, and black and white stripes on the top. The ceiling is low, with the typical slants that you see in French buildings, but it doesn't feel low. There are the prettiest blue curtains. The level of detail in the room as amazing. There's even a runner mid-wall with black and white flowers. It's really lovely. Airy, yet cozy. 

If you can't tell, I love French style. But then, who doesn't? 

The food has been good as well, and I am trying new things all the time. 

So far, I've had this really lovely vegetable soup, which has carrots and something else in it -- my host mother told me, but I don't know my vegetables, so I have no idea what she said. She also made a pasta the first night, but I only had a bit, because the soup was incredibly filling. The second day, she made me breakfast, even though it was 2 o'clock, which I think was very sporting of her, with ham, eggs, and something I couldn't place. It was very good. Last night was the soup again, this time with deliciously salted potatoes. Also there was cheese for dessert -- yes, it's a thing, and YES, it was delicious, much to my surprise. Additionally, all the meals have bread (pain) with them, and it's SO good. I have to try not to eat all of it. They also have a vase like thing for water, which is nice. For lunch today (remember, I slept until 2) she offered me breakfast or lunch, and I said lunch, because I need to get used to the schedule, there was green beans, a type of meet, a mustard. I had an apple for dessert, which is common in France, and quite good. Despite the French making what I would argue allegedly is some of the best pastries in the world, it's been my experience that most French don't eat nearly as much sugar as those of us in the US do. 

Which honestly, explains a lot. 

We also had some lovely conversation around politics last night. Unlike in the US, where it's a taboo topic, the French love to discuss politics. It's very important. As my host father put it, "how will you know where people are coming from if you don't talk about it??" I very much like this about the French culture and it's interesting to compare and contrast the different cultures. 

We discussed Americans -- and I observed that when you speak a second language, and exist in another culture, you realize that there is not one way to do things, things that you think are for certain, really aren't. My host father observed that he agreed, that it was something he had seen with some Americans, that their perspective tends to be set. 

Which interests me as a cultural note. I also want to point out, that he said this with mild interest, and not as a judgement. 

I have found that the French are very kind. I think we have such a view of them in America that simply isn't true. Of course, these are the people who ENJOY working with Americans, but still, it's food for thought. It is the same thing I found when I was in Paris, and it seems that in Tours, which is an hour south of Paris, it is the same thing. 


It is darker out today. It is a little cloudy and melancholic. And the time difference between here and home is a bit more pronounced. 

But I am looking forward to all this. I am so excited about my French. Already, with out any classes, it's better than I ever could have dreamed. 

Ok, but story time. So, the first thing I said in French was to the border guard. I spoke confidently in French, and started with "Bonjour Monsieur!". This is VERY VERY important in France. I think that is why often Americans think the French are rude. Because they don't start with that. They've committed a huge faux pas, and they don't even know it. Basically, it is the equivalent of this: Someone comes to your house to meet with your kids. You open the door and they sweep past you, and pretend as if you are a lamp post. Then later, when they are done playing with your kids, they ask you for a favor. Then they leave. It is very very rude not to say bonjour. 

Anyway, I digress. 

I said "bonjour," and I explained to the man, in french, that I was headed to Tours, to study and improve my French. He asked if I had a student card or a visa. I told him I would only be there for 30 days, but I had a letter from my school and for my host family. I gave him these documents, he looked over them, stamped them, and I was through! I stood on the other side for several moments and just felt thrilled. I'd communicated very well! In French! I'd not had to ask him to repeat himself or stared or stumbled over much. It felt amazing! 


My next interaction came from being an idiot and not being able to find the train station, despite being IN the train station. I did multiple laps, went up and down stairs, and finally gave up and went into the post office. She said "Bonjour!"  I started off with "pardon," but remember what I said about Bonjour? It's crucial. I got a look, and she began to speak in English now, "good morning" sounding tired. I quickly looked her in the eye, and said "Bonjour," clearly and empathically. Instant change. I spoke in French, and she instantly switched back to French. I told her I was lost, that I had a stupid question, and I wondered if she could refer me to the trains. She nodded, told me it was just downstairs, and pointed out the people who could help me. I thanked her for her help, and went to the correct place. 


I had smaller interactions in between my big ones, but they were very simple, ordering food, asking if there were any sim cards around (that one got me a look, which was fair, I asked the food mart and they were like, no . . . ?)


The next interaction was one with the ticket masters. We spoke mostly in French, but she switched briefly to English when I explained I was from California and I was extremely tired. But she only switched to tell me the crucial information -- to check the boards 20 minutes before. 


The last satisfying interaction (I spoke french while chaotically boarding my first train as I was completely lost and made a complete idiot of myself, but that doesn't count, that was primarily, "sorry, so sorry, thanks a million, sorry") was when I was boarding the five minute train to Tours. I asked two people if it was the correct train, and they said yes, so I boarded. But here was the cool part! A woman came up to me and asked me IN FRENCH (cool, I passed for a local!!!) if this was the train to Tours. I told her it was. She said some others had told her it was not and she was concerned she had the wrong information. I told her, yes, I was a bit confused too, but it was the correct train, I had spoken to several people. She thanked me and went off. 

WHICH WAS SO SATISFYING! 


Ok, I think that's all for now. I don't know how or when or if I'll update this when classes start, but it's something I can do for fun in the meantime. 

All for now! 

~ Emery  

No comments:

Post a Comment