Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Bath


Hello again! This time, from the wonderful city of Bath. (well, sort of. I'm in London again, but lets pretend I never left Bath, shall we?) 
Saturday was an absolutely wonderful day, one of my favorites in my life, It was an absolutely flawless, perfect day (except for the fact that I had to wake up early). 
On the 2 1/2 hour bus ride up there, I read and listened to podcasts. It was nice and quiet. And our guide, when she spoke, was absolutely amazing. Kind, smart, and knowledgeable, I would later learn that she had built up the business herself and was the owner*. 

But back to the trip. We arrived soon enough in Bath. 
While we did not, unfortunately, get to eat here, I still like the sign.
 Bath itself, was absolutely gorgeous. It is a city of legends and gods. Magic and antiquity. In other words, exactly my kind of place. Here was the church that was in the center square.



And the same church from the front. It is not a cathedral because there is not a bishop who lives there. 
 The weather was gorgeous.

Then, we went into the museum, to see the ancient baths. They were pretty amazing.
 They also had a museum that was rather large. They had all kinds of ancient artifacts, but my favorite, admittedly, was this display of all the coins that people had thrown in for the goddess over the years. Named Sulis-Minerva, a combination of the previous goddess of healing (Sulis) and the Roman goddess Minerva, (of wisdom), this goddess was the patron goddess of the city, and the baths.

Coins!
 And then we got to see the origins of this hot spring. It was awesome.


 And then we got to see the drain.

And the bath from the bottom level. 


And here I am. 


And here are all the old roman baths. I thought they were super amazing. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I was in a hurry, because we had a walking tour, but I did manage to get photos. 






At the end of the museum, you were allowed to drink a tap which piped water directly from the spring. This was cool, because the waters of Bath were supposed to have healing properties. It was some of the best water I had ever tasted (very pure) and it was still hot!

Then I went on the walking tour. It wasn't terribly amazing, but the day was gorgeous and it was a nice little walk. 

Here were the highlights. 





There was this really pretty pathway we walked through as well, but NONE of the pictures turned out, so I won't show them. 
After this, we headed back to the town center and I had lunch with two of the girls. They were very nice. We ate at this tea place, and they had all kinds of pretty decorations and plates. The food was decent as well. 

And then, after that, we were headed to Stonehenge . . . 

To be continued . . . in part two. 

Until next time, 

~ Emery 

 *(If you're curious, her name is Susannah, Her website can be found here: http://www.prosceniumsa.com/who-we-are/ I'm only including this because I truly enjoyed the experience and would very highly recommend her to ANYONE.)

No comments:

Post a Comment