Friday, February 20, 2015

How to Hold Your Breath -- and other things

So, yesterday interesting. For the most part it was quite good but there were certain points that were meh.
My history class that afternoon was one of the good things. I really like the professor (to be perfectly honest, I really like all my professors though) and I took 9 pages of notes from his 2 hour class, with practically 0 drawings in the margins (actually, there were only a few daisy-like doodles, which is a record for me). That said, I was writing in 4 different colors . . . What can I say, I think things to have variety.
Still, the stuff we went over was very cool. We went over a lot of origins and the foundations of England, which was a lot about talking about the vikings. Something I really like about this professor is that he pauses when he talks, when he wants you to take notes, which for someone who doesn't write very quickly (at least legibly) is wonderful. After we'd done a lot of talking about the vikings, we then got to see some of the artifacts that they had, when we went to the British Museum. It was very cool. We weren't allowed to take photos of things like the ancient helmets that the vikings took into battle (they looked as though they were made out of gold and silver) but I did take a couple pictures of the museum itself --

The ceiling, in the main hall. 

She looks like Athena to me, but we were moving too quickly for me to catch her name, Likely Hera, in all probability. 
 The viking artifacts were amazing. The swords, shields, and helmets were amazing, of course, but so was the giant cooking pot that they used. I thought the coolest thing to see were the Pagan artifacts that they carried on them. Of course, they eventually turned Christian, and it was interesting to see the subtle transition, but I like the original objects better . . .

Anyways. Very cool class.

After that -- class ends in the early evening, I went to search for food. I wound up picking the most complicated route and spending about 1 1/2 hours on the tube at rush hour and eating outside in the freezing cold. Not the most fun I've ever had . . . I also arrived to the theater show 45 minutes early and wound up wandering around the cold some more. Finally it was time to go the show that we were supposed to see for our London Stage class.

It turned out to be pretty amazing, and the theater was pretty cool as well.

And we were in the front row!

The show itself was really excellent. It was one of the best shows I have seen in recent years. The actors were excellent, the sets suited the show and used the stage in new and interesting ways and the story was thought provoking and heartbreaking.

The story begins in a lighthearted fashion -- the main character, Dana, found a man in a bar and decided to . . . how shall we say this . . . take him home. When they awake, the banter is playful and sweet. And then the man offers to pay Dana. She is completely aghast and tells him no, that she did it because she liked him. That that sort of thing should not be done for money. Then it is his turn to be aghast. He said he assumed that she wanted money, otherwise he would have not slept with her. He informs her that she couldn't have liked him, he is a demon. He tells her, his voice rising, that in 2 weeks time, she will be begging him to pay her.

She, a bit of a fire ball, informs him that that he's nuts.
He storms out, informing her he's going very far away. When he leaves, Dana realizes that she has a large red mark below her collar bone and it won't go away. It fact, it seems to be getting more painful.

From there, Dana is given an interview in a company. She aces it and the company wants her to do a follow up interview in their establishment in Alexandria.

The demon shows up again and offers to pay her 45 euros, saying it was bothering him still. She refuses. It seems she is falling in love with him and he with her, which he cannot stand.

She and her sister (whom she is very close to) begin to journey to Alexandria when their cards are denied and, later, they are informed that all the banks have closed. It is the beginning of a complete and utter European collapse and apocalyptic world. It all goes down hill from there. It is a dystopia and, as I said before, very heart-wrenching.

Still, it was well done and I "enjoyed" it. I won't spoil anymore, in case you ever get to see it, but that's all for now!

Until next time!

~ Emery


No comments:

Post a Comment