Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Walk around town

Well, here we are at day 3 in  London. Today was the first real day we got to walk around and see the city a little bit -- tomorrow will be more. There's a tour planned for us and everything. Today has been rather long, and it's not even at its finish. In a few hours we are having a dinner with our faculty. I'm really excited and my only regret is that I can't change into something nicer, well, I could but it would be silly since it is a 10 pound ride both ways and since I don't have my metro pass yet (called an Oyster Pass. Why? I don't know. the name baffles me. I would be very curious indeed to see if there was history behind it.) so it's very expensive to get from one place to the other, particularly for just a few hours. So I've found Hollins library and sat down here. It's a nice spot. Very quiet. Just me and another girl who is just as quiet. Maybe more so, since I'm tapping at the keys. Very peaceful. London's taking some getting used to, particularly in regards to the whether. It is colder than Paris, though, then again, I don't know what Paris is like in February, and there was snow on the ground this morning. Not much, but a good dusting. I was very surprised when I looked out my window, and saw that it was white. I blinked. "That had better not be snow!" I mumbled. But, of course, it was. The girls and I -- aka, my flatmates -- rode the Tube together to get to school. We did not get lost this time but unfortunately they did very nicely wait for me while I had to buy a ticket (they had their Oyster Cards) in a rather long line. Despite this though, we were on time.

And then we were off to the London University Students club (or at least what it was the equivalent of really) it was a really . . . interesting place. Very colege-y. I thought it was nice though. I am most exited that they offer things like Kung Fu and Sailing, supposedly, because that would be cool.   They also offer concerts, food, and parties as well as a gym (for a small extra fee). It's a privilege to have membership to this place though and hopefully, I'll be able to meet students there.

After that, we did lunch. Well, sort of. I had already bought a chicken salad sandwich, but I joined the others at this place that specialized in chicken and just ordered a drink. It was a decent lunch. Not much eventful happening.

After that we walked with our director around London. Mostly we just walked, but every once in a while he would point out something of interest and we rode in those huge red buses a few times.


We also went to the British Museum, for about Twenty minutes which was fun. We saw things like the Rosetta Stone, for example.






There were also some really great tablets with early forms of writing on them as well. They seemed like something Mom would like.





One of the really cool things is that there is a lot of history and basically everything cool or hip starts in this city, which is pretty amazing. I'd be really interested in writing on the literary history of this place, honestly. But then, who wouldn't? There are also so many theatre shows and musicals advertised. Personally, I'd love to go see Wicked or Mamma Mia, but we're going to see a lot shows so hopefully I don't get sick of them by then.

That's all for now --

Hopefully tomorrow will be even more exciting and fun!

¬ E

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I am reading all the blogs you have written lately, "cause I missed quite a few.I am loving this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! But only twenty minutes at the British Museum?!
    I guess this is a "taster" tour, where you get to see all of the cool things that are in London so you can go back later and explore more deeply. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete