Sunday, February 1, 2015

London Calling

So, once again, I am preparing to set off into the far off land of Europe. Only, this time, to London!
I thought I'd prep my blogging for England by going over a basic packing list. It's gotten to the point where I've done this so many times that while I am not a master, I have figured out a basic running list of what I need -- and what I do not.

Clothes:
I pack about 2 weeks worth. More is silly (I packed 2 1/2 weeks worth last time and it was over the top). While less . . . doesn't work.

Last time I made the mistake of not packing enough warm pjs so there are more of those this time, as well as this beautiful white robe from a friend. I know that will come in handy. It was another thing I really wished I would have had last time.

I am also packing 2 pairs of warm tights, since I wear a lot of skirts, gloves, and a bathing suit (according to many travel sites, this is the thing that most people forget and wish they had).

Now, trying to decide which 28 (14 x 2) or so pieces of clothing come with you out of all your outfits can be very tricky. I have a few suggestions:
1. If you don't wear it in your everyday life, don't bring it because you think you "might" need it or "it'll be practical" (unless you're going backpacking or something). Example: I don't wear a lot of pants. I wear skirts. When I went to Virginia, I packed lots of pants for that first year. And guess how many times I wore them? Very little. I always pack one pair of pants, in case I need them for an adventure, but I don't pack mostly pants anymore.
2. Think about how comfortable you'll be wearing something in the culture you'll be going to.
For me, it was short skirts. Back home, when I'm hanging around my parents or a boyfriend, short skirts aren't an issue and it suits the California weather. But, when I was thinking about Paris and riding the Metro every day, I realized that personally, I was not comfortable with a short skirt. I think I packed one. I don't recall ever wearing it, because when I got there, I had the same feeling I'd had back home.
3. If you're like me and pack many different colored skirts, you'll need to make sure that you have shirts that will go with as many of them as possible, so you can make different combinations.
4. One mistake I made in Paris was I packed too many tank tops. For days when you're feeling lazy -- girls you know exactly what I mean, t-shirts are a life saver.

So, thus far, I have 10 skirts, 11 shirts, and a pair of pants. I have 4 dresses and a really fancy dress for a special occasion.
Under consideration is a really gorgeous dress that I'm not sure I need -- but might. And a sundress that I'm still looking for.

Shoes:
These are always easy for me: I discovered in France that there was no need for heels -- I wore them once and felt silly for doing so. And so, packed are Mary Janes (or flats), flip flops, and tennis shoes -- for said adventuring. I will wear my boots on the plane, like always.

For jackets, a light layer (for me a grey sweater), a medium layer -- a white jacket -- and something very heavy that I will wear on the plane.
A scarf is a must have.

I also always bring bags with me, for everyday use. A over the shoulder bag, a hand bag, my traveler's bag, and my backpack, which I use as my personal item.
Added to this is an umbrella. I don't pack a raincoat.

Toiletries --
Standard stuff.

Jewelry -- I've learned that I don't wear nearly as much jewelry as I think I do, day to day. Therefore, 3-4 pairs of earrings and necklaces seem to do just fine.

Music -- this time I wound up bringing most of my CDS

Books -- I actually wound up with relatively few. I always bring stuff I can read on the plane and one or two books I can't live without

Notebooks -- I brought more than usual, I think. I brought my Mara's story notebooks, my WTMW notebook, a blank notebook, a journal, and a sketchbook. For a writer, these things are essential. For everyone else a journal and a notebook are probably plenty.

Documents -- Standard stuff. Passport, etc.

Snacks -- (I'm a gummy worm hound)

Electronics -- (AKA computer, phone + cords) and headphones.

Plugs -- Just adapter plugs in this case since phone and computer have build in conductors. If you use anything other than a mobile or a computer, you'll need a converter as well or you'll fry the circuits ( learned this the hard way).

Movies -- Normally something I don't bring, I made an exception in this case because I wished I had them

Essentials -- Earplugs and sleepmask for the plane. Priceless.

And that's all!
I actually did not over pack for once -- though I did under-pack a little. I should have packed a towel, which is not something that I usually need, but it's, like a said, a little under-furnished here. Not that I mind. Just wish I would have known a little in advance.

But I'm happy. And that concludes my packing list.






No comments:

Post a Comment