Tuesday, February 24, 2015

On Women's Voices

So, this is just a brief update. We went to Cambridge last weekend and soon I shall update with pictures. For now though, Tuesday is my day off, and so I am kicking back and relaxing. I had originally thought to go to the national gallery, but they, while open, are on strike today and parts of the museum are closed. So I've turned to books. Besides, I am still headed to a performance tonight. and the rest is good. I am actually reading a book on housekeeping. I bought it and it arrived today. I have decided to read up on it, because living here is much like having my own department and I find I lack knowledge in the area. What is interesting about this book though, is the author's voice. I have never read a book such as this and I'm finding I quite like it. I think there is something about a women's voice, in writing, that is so utterly valuable. I've come across other female voice in how to books, and have loved them as well. Why? I think it's the fact that women aren't afraid to be soft, personal, and yet blunt, and to the point. There are plenty of anecdotes and women are often very funny in their work. Mind, this is, certainly, a sweeping generalization, but I do notice a difference. Many women's words wander, in these how to books and I really appreciate that. So today, I'm grateful for that -- the value that is a woman's voice in non-fiction -- and in literature, and those -- of all genders -- who teach us the skills we need in which to live.

Tonight we are going to Romeo and Juliet (my least favorite play of all time) but I'm still looking forward to it. Today is grey, but about 50 F. It is quiet and calm. I hope to read, listen to podcasts, watch more Replacements, snack, and maybe write. It has begun to rain now, so I am glad to be quite warm and dry. Tomorrow we are going to the Tower of London in our history class. It should be interesting.

Logistically, I am excited, because I received my Oyster card and was registered for my class at LSBU. I now have a Jack Vettriano planner as well. If you are wondering, he's not a designer. He's a painter, who's work I'm very fond of.

And that's all for now -- nothing terribly exciting, I'm afraid, but I'm glad of it. Our quiet moments in life are too fleeting. They are to be treasured.

Until next time --

~ Emery  

No comments:

Post a Comment