Monday, February 2, 2015

Orientation

Today was first real day in London. It was a busy day, if a bit dull at points.

This morning started off with Breakfast with the girls in my Flat. There are only 4 of us, so it was very nice. I was exhausted, having not been able to fall asleep until 4:30 last night, but somehow I made conversation. We had breakfast at a small cafe down the street. The food wasn't incredible, but it was certainly edible. It was interesting to note the difference of the cashier people from France to England. Personally, I think the French are a little warmer, but I think I'm a bit bias. In Paris, I thought I blended rather well. Here I stand out like a sore thumb. It could be that it's just easier to notice here though.

It's actually funny how much I miss the french language. I keep thinking in French, and every time I hear someone speak in French (five times today, all strangers) I want to listen to practice, but of course, I don't, since it would be ease dropping. Still. I miss the language. British English is very confusing to me. It's not that it's bad, it's just different enough to be baffling. After breakfast and lovely conversation, we got on the subway, which, as I'm sure you know, the Londoners call the Tube. After being on it, I can see why. It looks like a Tube of metal. Other than that, and the seating arrangements, it wasn't all that different from the Metro. I think the Tube might be a bit faster and cleaner, but honestly, I like the Layout of the Metro better. But I think I'm bias. We had a relatively short commute which was good, but then we got lost looking for our school. It seems that not all "streets" go in a straight line. Our square ACTUALLY went in a square. That was a shock. But I guess the name should have warned us. Drivers in London, much like Paris, are scary. They don't wait for much of anyone. I know people don't believe me, but LA drivers don't try and kill pedestrians and it's always a shock when the drivers seem like they're going to make you into road kill.

Our orientation lasted a few hours. It was pretty basic stuff. Our director seems nice and there were plenty of girls I hadn't seen in a while.

After that was over, one of my flatmates and I went shopping for towels and other supplies to brighten up our rooms. They're decent rooms, don't get me wrong, but they're much like hotel rooms in that they don't have any personality. I suppose that's a good thing since I wouldn't want to be stuck in a bubble gum pink room or something. Shopping was fun and this particular flatmate and I have a lot in common -- none the least of which is that she is also a creative writing major!

After that, (well, after we were done getting lost, for the second time that day anyways) we went grocery shopping, since we have to provide all our own dinners since we are not in a homestay. Since there are no dishes or pots of any sort in our kitchen, we picked up some easy microwave dinners.
It wasn't a bad lot though. They were ready quickly and we had a nice chat over dinner.
After a while, the other two girls in our flat -- also from our program -- joined us and we had a nice time.

All and all, a better day than I expected. The girls I had a chance to speak with were all so nice.

At the moment, I feel like I haven't really seen the real London, so I hope I can soon.

Well, that's all for the moment. Sorry for the lack of photos but it would have been strange to take them today.

Tomorrow is more orientation and should, in theory, be more interesting.

Until whenever --

~ E

P.S

I ended my day with Mamma Mia, crocheting, and a chocolate orange. I am ok with this.
And here, just for fun, is Meryl Streep as Donna.



No comments:

Post a Comment