Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Second Day of Classes

So, will post about first day of classes very soon, but it's more complicated so wanted to start with today.
Today I got to sleep in until noon which was very nice. My first class was at 2. It was a class I had just added which I was excited (and nervous) about. It is a class on English history from the Anglo Saxons until the end of Elizabeth the first's reign. The class will be taking lots of trips and I am very excited to see how this will turn out. The professor is really nice. We signed up for presentations today. I'm going to be doing Mary 1! I'm very happy about this since I've been wanting to do her since my first year seminar at Hollins! Today in class we talked a little about the vikings and a little about the origins of the different people -- irish, scottish, english, etc. It was very cool and completely up my alley. After that, we went to the British Library, which I'd been dying to go to. It seemed more of a museum than an actual library, but apparently it is a bit of a library as well, just not the lending out kind. I will investigate further. We did see a very cool exhibit, though because you guys know how I am with museums (I struggle with them) I didn't appriciate like I should have when I was there. There were a lot of important historical documents (I lost count) and some lesser, but more interesting historical documents by like Mary the 1st's letter about her marriage to Phillip. There were Shakespeare Folios and Beatles lyrics and stuff from Dickens, Chaucer, Bronte . . . and many others. My absolute favorite thing though was the pages from Leonardo Da Vinci's notebooks!!! They were AMAZING. I wished I could look through all his work - but don't we all. I really want to study him in detail sometimes. (Note. New project? I should start a list) There were also pages from Michelangelo's notebook as well that was really, really cool. My second favorite thing (other than some other scientific notebooks) were these illuminated munuscripts -- these sacred books -- from all over the world! Not only did they have the bible, but they also had the Torah, and the Quran -- AND the Hindu and Buddhist sacred texts, which were AMAZING to see. Plus they had manuscripts -- not holy books -- from Korea, Japan, and China! It was really amazing.
The class ended an hour early (we went into the gift shop, but nothing really stood out to me) and we headed back, and I got ready (AKA, I microwaved dinner) to go to the theater.

We went to the show Scottsboro Boys, which was terribly depressing. I thought they made some important points though, so gave them a standing ovation along with several others. The play is very politically charged, so I don't want to write about it here, as I'm not in the mood to get upset again, but I suggest you look it up and see what it's about. It has shades of the crucible, as in value of the truth, innocence and yet determined by everyone to be guilty and the idea that one lie will overshadow the truth. Add to that racial issues in the South, our modern "justice" system and mix well.
The play left all 3 of us a bit jarred, all in different ways I think but personally, I thought it was at least good food for thought. That said, I would never see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment